The Permitting Technician is responsible for the daily operations of the permitting office staff to ensure that required permits for the Specialized Transportation division are procured in a timely and efficient manner. Duties also include providing the sales department with permit and route information for their RFQ estimates, working with engineering on vehicle configurations for exceptional loads.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Work with all levels of government agencies in order to secure transportation permits.
- Correctly identify, complete, and submit all required documents for permit applications.
- Receive and verify that permits are correct. Review permit once issued for any additional restrictions or requirements. Distribute permits as required.
- Review traffic/construction/weather restrictions from DOT websites on permitted routes
2. Work with Permit Administrative Assistant to ensure accuracy of detailed route surveys.
- Assist with detailed route surveys. Run height pole to check clearances and gather detailed information. (Height pole required)
- Act as pilot car as required. (Certification required.)
- Assist in identifying and contacting utilities, railroads, and any other local jurisdictions.
3. Input and manage data on transportation software.
- Learn and work with LoadX transportation software.
- Work with the engineering team to ensure the capability and accuracy of drawings.
4. Interact with and provide permitting assistance to corporate dispatch offices.
5. Provide the sales department with information regarding vehicle configurations, routing, and permit costs for estimating purposes.
6. Work with engineering to ensure equipment configurations are correct and within capacity limits.
7. Submit superload applications, purchase and distribute permits as required.
8. Provide the sales department with information regarding vehicle configurations, routing, and permit costs for estimating purposes.
9. Act as liaison between the permitting division and corporate office.
- Attend any planning meetings needed for permitting purposes. (i.e. Specialized Transportation meeting)
- Help to keep SAP web calendar updated.
- Help with getting correct information to permitting department – Permit Request Form.
Required Experience and/or Education…
- Prompt and reliable with excellent organization skills, including the ability to prioritize tasks and anticipate issues that need attention.
- Ability to consistently meet deadlines and follow up with little direction.
- Effective oral and written communication skills with excellent spelling and grammar.
- Work under moderate supervision with latitude for the use of initiative and independent judgment.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office software – AutoCad and LoadX a plus.
- Mathematical and mechanical aptitude.
- High school diploma or 4 years of experience in the transportation or related field is a plus.