Hillsboro, OR, US
The Assistant Dispatcher will coordinate and organize, in cooperation with all other company locations, the movement of all company assets to meet customer needs. The position will handle the inbound/outbound transportation of crews and equipment; coordinate trucks for daily deliveries, pick-ups, and activities; inspect time cards for accuracy and enter time into the computer system; manage company drivers and fleet of 10-20 tractors/trailers.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Plan, organize and schedule all daily activities for Portland crews and equipment.
- Work in cooperation with Operations leadership to evaluate the efficiency of operational decisions and drive continuous improvement efforts.
- Effectively communicate with field crews on a continual basis.
- Manage constantly changing needs of crews in the field and ensure their time is optimized each and every day.
- Plan crews and equipment accordingly per jobs, requests, and availability.
- Facilitate day-to-day workload with sales staff.
- Communicate with crews and drivers throughout the day and tracking crews and drivers to make the most efficient use of time and locations.
- Work with the shop on equipment downtime and service schedules.
- Coordinating with the warehouse administrator for offloads/load-outs, and storage needs.
- Working with yard Superintendent/Foreman for pre-planning & loading of crews & equipment for future work.
- Work with the software-based scheduler to input crews & equipment into the computer tracking system.
- Planning/tracking of vacations and off time for field personnel.
- Audit and enter timesheets and other required paperwork for completeness and accuracy.
- Facilitate emails and phone calls in dispatch.
- Assist with permits as required for overweight and/or over-dimensional loads.
Required Experience and/or Education…
- High school diploma or GED; previous dispatch experience a plus
- Available to work 40+ hours per week and able to take calls or texts 24/7
- Prompt and reliable; with excellent organization skills, including the ability to prioritize tasks and anticipate issues that need attention.
- Ability to consistently meet deadlines and follow up with little direction.
- Effective oral and written communication skills with excellent spelling and grammar.
- Work under moderate supervision with latitude for the use of initiative and independent judgment.
- Proficient with computers, including Microsoft Office products
- Good note-taker, critical thinking, and problem-solving